Polka Dot

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Goldfish and Dog Food

Today's post is actually going to be more of a lesson to us teachers rather than just an activity.  Never thought I would learn something blog worthwhile in my astronomy class, but I did.  Amazing!  My professor had a pretty interesting story so I have to share.

The activity is pretty cool I guess.  All kids probably love experiments so either as a class or individually, you can set up this experiment and find out a thing or two maybe. 

The experiment goes like this:

There's 4 different fish bowls. 
One golfish (the control) is in freshwater and eats fishfood.
Another fish is in freshwater but eats dog food.
Another fish is in saltwater and eats fish food.
Another fish is in saltwater and eats dog food.

Which fish is better off?  Well, that's for you and your class to find out.

What was really fun (and really sad at the same time) with my professor's story was the following:

His daughter got points off because she didn't have a control in her experiment (yes, she did have the fish in freshwater that eats fish food).  The moral of the story is:  teachers, know your facts (as obvious as that sounds). 

Have a happy Wendesday :)


No comments:

Post a Comment